About Me

My photo
dover foxcroft, maine
married mother of five in total three mine and two my husband's children two part time jobs full time student and just loving life. active in my church and member of my local American legion

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The View From My Window...version something final

   The river today is muddy and brown. The froth, peppering its roiling surface, is evidence of the chaos below. It is rushing on its way to where ever the Creator intended for it to flow today. A late summer storm having dumped several inches of rain on us in these the last couple of days, has made the river swollen and angry, seething. Sitting here at my kitchen table, gazing out of my window into the fading light of the day, I wonder at the myriad sorts of critters, swimming in its depths, fighting the currents that are carrying them willy-nilly where ever the river wants to take them. I am mesmerized by the sight of the river and all its  movement, and find that spans of time have passed while I have not thought a thought, nor dreamed a dream. I come back to the now and see the trees on the riverbanks, which I can see from my window, are calm and still, waiting for the next breeze to whisper through their outstretched arms.

      Watching the leaves, I am again mesmerized by the dance that they are putting on for me. Here a dip, there a turn, bowing to their many partners; then dancing away, gently swirling, and whirling, to a music that only they can hear, carried to them by the winds blowing through their midst. The speckles of fading sunlight that are showing here and there gloriously costuming them in today's fading light. Their dance ever changing and ever evolving, perfectly choreographed by nature in an intense and rhythmical pattern only known to God.
    
       The sun has gone down now, and with its dropping, the rain has started, as if by some unseen lever that is holding its balance with the weight of the sun, it opens up a flood gate from the heavens, allowing them to empty their rivers into my own. Valiantly battling the darkness all around it, is a watery light spilling from my kitchen window, which I have left open so I can see and hear the sounds of the rain on this night; for it is a peaceful and soothing balm to the stresses of my day.  I have found it is my own private method for relaxing and getting myself back together, I don't even mind sharing it with someone as it all begins outside, with the view from my window.

1 comment:

  1. I like it, but after a certain point that is not the question--the question becomes: 'Does it still work for you, the writer, or do you feel you have lost your original idea and inspiration by trying to jump through Teacher's hoops?'

    Anyway, want to submit this to the school literary magazine?

    ReplyDelete