About Me

My photo
dover foxcroft, maine
married mother of five in total three mine and two my husband's children two part time jobs full time student and just loving life. active in my church and member of my local American legion

Friday, September 17, 2010

My Family Scrapbooks

     Scrapbooks are the history of a family. There is laughter, sometimes tears, and quite often a quiet yearning for the lost innocence of our youth or even your parents' youth if you feel yours is not that interesting. Through the years I had amassed a veritable maelstorm of pictures. They were everywhere in my house. They were in drawers, boxes, letters, some were being used as bookmarks. They were behind my bed, under my couch, in the cupboards, and a few were even in the glove box of my car. I had pictures laying around everywhere but in my purse to show people when I talked about my family. I decided one quiet, rainy weekend, to gather them all together and organize them somehow. There were pictures of me and my brother, my father and mother, pictures of my greatgrandparents, my grandparents, pictures of my children's father and his mother when he was young. There were pictures of my children, my stepchildren, and a very few of my husband's mother and father. All told there were five generations between three families. It took almost that whole weekend to find, gather, sort, and then, very painstakingly go through them one by one and put them in chronological order. It took two large scrapbooks to store them all but I finally did it. The end result was quite the family history. I am so proud that I took the time and did this, not only is my house cleaner but when my grandchildren come over one of their favorite books to look at is The Parents Books. Why did you have the fish Nanna? Where was this?  How old was you here?  The questions go and on all afternoon if I am lucky. Because of those books I have a little piece of my families' (all of them) history, right there, for all my world to see, learn, and remember.

1 comment:

  1. "They were everywhere in my house. They were in drawers, boxes, letters, some were being used as bookmarks. They were behind my bed, under my couch, in the cupboards, and a few were even in the glove box of my car. I had pictures laying around everywhere but in my purse..."

    Those are my favorite lines here, where the writing really starts to wail and the excess of detail mirrors so nicely the excess of pictures being described.

    "Why did you have the fish Nanna? Where was this? How old was you here?"

    That's the part that disappointed a little--you were onto something with the fish; four or five detailed questions like that would have kicked this into high gear for a close, but instead you gave us two much more generic questions.

    ReplyDelete