About Me

My photo
dover foxcroft, maine
married mother of five in total three mine and two my husband's children two part time jobs full time student and just loving life. active in my church and member of my local American legion

Friday, September 10, 2010

The Worst Teacher

     The worst teacher I ever had was not necessarily a bad teacher, it is just that she also taught my mother and my aunts. It never failed that at some point during the day, I would hear how cute my mother was or what I stinker my auntie was. Having just moved to Maine from Connecticut, and being new to the third grade, the end result was that I was not as cute as my mother and I was as much a stinker as my Auntie, whom I had never met. I finally did meet her many years later and I didn't think that she smelled all that bad, a little like moth balls and lavender. Looking back, I have come to realize that the woman was just trying to put me at ease with the other kids. All she really ended up doing was making me the center of attention, which every new student knows is not a good thing to be when your the new girl in town. I survived it though and now as I look back from another point of view I realize that I have something not many people get to have, which is a little piece of my mother's history as part of my own and I am grateful.
     

2 comments:

  1. Never a good idea to compare students to other students. If in different years I have two students with the same unusual last name, I will never say, 'Are you related to so-and-so?" Can lead to immediate problems, worries, doubts, and suspicions.

    Everyone has to be themself alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I had a mother who said her daughter took my class and recommended it to her. I asked who her daughter was and when I heard the name, I couldn't remember the person. The mother was quite offended that her little girl hadn't made a bigger impression.

    ReplyDelete